Toronto churches with North Country Slate roofing products
Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church – 202 Park Street
This is the fifth oldest church in Toronto and classic example of Gothic Revival architecture. The original church burnt down in 1865 and was rebuilt in 1869. Through the years the church has been a parish for new immigrants from Italians, Portuguese, Koreans, Vietnamese and Chinese. Today the church is considered the mother church for the Chinese community. Half of the masses are Cantonese and the other half Mandarin with English mass twice a month. In 2007, the church underwent a million dollar face lift. We supplied our North Country Unfading Black, 20” x 10” x ¼”.
St. Anne’s Anglican Church – 270 Gladstone Ave
Built 1907-1908, opening its doors on October 15, 1908. Was named a National Historic Site in 1996. Designed by architect William Ford Howland is an example of Byzantine Revival Style. The dome was inspired by Hagia Sophia in Istanbul. The buff bricks were made at Don Valley Brickworks. The slate roof was replaced in 1990’s. We supplied our North Country Unfading Black, 20” x 10” x 3/16”.
St. Cecilia’s Church – 161 Annette St.
Rich in history with the development of west Toronto Junction, saw an increase in Irish population after the great Irish Potato Famine (1845-1849). The railway construction boom in the 1880’s joined just north of Dundas and Keele Streets hence the name Junction. With this boom, came the demand for a larger workforce. Construction of the Church began on November 14, 1909 and took two years to complete. Most of the construction labour was provided by local parishioners. St. Cecilia’s Church opened its doors on September 10, 1911. Architecturally the church is Gothic Revival design with high steeples. We supplied our North Country Unfading Black, 20” x 10” x ¼”.
St. Mary’s Church – 20 Portugal Square
The Parish was established by Irish Immigrants in 1852. Designed by architect Joseph Connolly, same architect that designed the Church of our Lady Immaculate in Guelph. St. Mary’s Church is an example of French Gothic Revival architecture. Construction began on August 15, 1881 and was completed in 1889 and the tower in 1905. Like many other churches in Toronto at the time, St. Mary’s was home to poor immigrant communities. First by the Irish immigrants, then the Polish and Ukrainians. By 1960 there was a large population of Portuguese, hence the name Portugal Square. We supplied our North Country Unfading Black, 18” x 10” x ¼” with unfading green slate pattern.
Saint Anthony’s Catholic Church – 1041 Bloor Street West
Construction started July 1, 1921 and was completed in September 1922. This church is Romanesque style architecture. We supplied our North Country Unfading Black, 24” x 12” x ¼” with unfading green slate pattern.
St. Basil’s Church – 50 St. Joseph Street
Built in 1856, St. Basil’s Church is the college church of St. Michael’s College. Architect William Hay designed this Gothic Revival church based on 13th Century pointed English Gothic style. When the church opened, it served 100 students and 50 local Catholic families. Over the years Toronto’s Catholic population increased with influx of Irish immigrants. The church’s first expansion was 1877-78 and another in the late 1880’s. We supplied our North Country Unfading Black, 22” x 11” x ¼”.
Walmer Road Baptist Church – 188 Lowther Ave
Located in The Annex, the Walmer Road Baptist Church was founded in 1889. As the membership grew, so did the church. Upon completion of the new sanctuary on November 6, 1982 the Walmer Road Baptist Church was the largest Baptist church in Canada. A fine example of Gothic Revival style architecture. We supplied our North Country Unfading Black, 20” x 10” x ¼”.
St. Paul’s Anglican Church – 227 Bloor Street East
The first church opened on June 12, 1842. As the membership grew so did the need to build a bigger church. The first serve at the new church was on November 30, 1913 with seating for 2000. In 2003, new slates were installed on the north and northeast side with our North Country Unfading Black, 20” x 10” x ¼” with an unfading green slate pattern.
St. Paul’s Basilica Catholic Church – 83 Power Street
The oldest Roman Catholic congregation in Toronto, located in Toronto’s Corktown neighbourhood. Established in 1822, this was the only Roman Catholic parish between Kingston and Windsor. Architect, Joseph Connolly designed this Gothic Style church. We supplied our North Country Unfading Black, 20” x 10” x ¼”
St. Peters Church – 659 Markham Street
The original church was built 1906-1907. In 1925 the present church was completed to accommodate the growing number of Catholics. We supplied our North Country Unfading Green roofing slate, 12” x 8” x ¼”.
First Church of Christ Scientist – 196 St. George Street
The oldest Christian Science congregation in Toronto. Located in The Annex, the congregation was founded in Toronto in September 1889. The present church was built 1914-1916. We supplied our North Country Unfading Green roofing slate, 20” x 11” x ¼”.