Murphy’s Windmill – Southwest Corner Of Golden Gate Park (Near 48th Avenue And Lincoln Way) San Francisco, CA
North Country Unfading Black roofing slate, 12″ x 6″ x 3/16″ 2″ headlap installation
Built in 1905, the windmill pumped 40,000 gallons of water per day for irrigation at Golden Gate Park. Named after Samuel G Murphy, a prominent San Francisco banker who donated $20,000 for its construction. The six story windmill was the largest in the world when it was built. Unlike other windmills, this one had slate which is believed to be supplied from the El Dorado County of California. At the time of building, former Commissioner W J Dingee owned most of the slate mines in California which produced a deep black slate.
Over the years, the windmill began to stop functioning and was in need of large repairs. A group of local citizens and preservation groups raised the funds required to restore the windmill. Renovations started in 2002 and the copper dome was placed on top in 2012 to complete the renovation.
In 2011, we supplied our North Country Unfading Black roofing slate for the San Francisco Murphy Windmill and Millwright’s Cottage at Golden Gate Park. The slate from St. Marc Du Lac Long, Quebec was a good match to the original slate. We fondly called this order “the cute slate order” because we supplied 54 squares of 12” x 6” x 3/16” (2” Headlap) for the windmill and 25 squares of 12” x 8” x ¼” for the Cottage.